Saint Sarmad was the disciple of a perfect Master, But how is a perfect Master to be rocognised? Perfect Masters have themselves made the point clear in their own literature. There are outward as well as inward signs which leaves no room for error.
1. A perfect Master lives like an ordinary citizen.
2. He wears no special clothes, ochre-colored robes, flowing mantles or habits, to distinguish him from the people among who he lives.
3. He puts on no caste-mark, doesnot apply sandalwood paste to his forehead, or ashes to his body.
4. He leads a family life and does not hide himself in jungles, mountains and caves.
5. He earns his own livelihood. Among Indian Saints Tukaram was a grocer, Namdev a tailor, Ravidas a shoe maker, Gora Kumbhar a potter, Sawta Mali a gardener, Narhari a goldsmith, Supach a tanner, Kabir a Weaver, Guru Nanak a farmer, Maharaj Jaimal Singh JI a Soldier, Maharaj Sawan Singh Ji a military Engineer, Sardar Bahadur a professor of chemistry, Maharaj Charan Singh ji a lawyer and a farmer.
6. He doesnot accept for his own use any gifts or any charity from anyone, not even from his disciples, and anyone who does receive gifts or charity is not a perfect Master. He comes here as a Giver not receiver.
7. Perfect Master give little or no importance to temples, mosques and churches, pilgrimages to holy cities, bathing in holy rivers, visits to shrines or durgahs. They count no beads; and imaginary pictures showing rosaries around their necks or in their hands are products of ignorance and are gross misrepresentations.
8. Perfect Masters are not interested in founding religions or organising sects or cults. The establishment of these after their death is the result of the ignorance narrow-mindedness, greed and lust for position and power of people who claim to be their follower. And they do so only after the Masters themselves have passed away.
9. Perfect Masters promise no worldly wealth or successes. They give no charms and amulets or other means for worldly success.
10. Perfect Masters are perfect themselves and make their disciples perfect.
11. Perfect Masters re vegetarian and against the use of all intoxicating drugs and drinks.